Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hobby Horse

Sorry for the neglect, I've been off pursuing extracurricular activities. That’s something I haven't said before. Doing anything more than the status quo was never my strong point at school or uni, namely because I can't catch a ball to save my life and am about as musically talented as Rebecca Black.

Now though at the ripe ole age of twenty five, I find that having a hobby keeps me sane. Life is a little like Groundhog day at the moment (minus the comedic talents of Bill Murray) so having something to break the work, eat, gym (sometimes),sleep routine is essential. So what have I been doing? Um this is awkward…writing. It’s like I’ve been cheating on the blog but this writing is being assessed by a tutor and comes with a deadline so there’s a little more urgency to keep it up.

Last year I signed up for a magazine journalism course which I have been completing at a leisurely pace. I figure that this is a hobby so it shouldn’t feel like work, I write when I feel like it, so I also do the assignments when I feel like it. Long story short I’ve arsed around for a while but am now getting stuck in.

I’m in the midst of writing an article about blogging actually so when I said I felt like I was cheating at least I’m keeping it in the family…that’s probably worse when you think about it. Moving right along…

Today I am a bit chuffed with myself- I had my first proper interview for the article I’m writing. The subject was Jane Yee who is a fantastic blogger (she’s won awards and stuff) and a very cool lady. You can check out her work at www.picnicbythemotorway.com. She was also on the telly once upon a time (remember M2?) so I may have been a tad starstruck. Why is it that people you see on TV are so much tinier in person?

Despite the shaky hands and awkward fidgeting with the recording device- iVan the iPhone- I think it went pretty well. So tonight I’m going to get into some transcribing. I’m quietly terrified that the audio will somehow vanish into the ether. As trusty as iVan is, I’ve seen what autocorrect can do so I don’t have one hundred percent faith in him.

Hell, I’m so motivated at the moment that I even went to the library to do some research today- I know what you’re thinking and yes thankyou I did actually do some real work today. I guess I’ve just gotten a second wind on the project due to a lack of anything else exciting on the horizon.

I reckon having a hobby is the best way to crawl your way out of a life rut and let’s be honest, twenty somethings are quite prone to falling into those. I think in our twenties we all go through an adjustment period where we have to come to grips with the monotony of settling into full time work. This blog actually helped me out of a rut I was in last year and the journalism course is just another challenge to keep me occupied.

So if you have the Groundhog day feeling, I suggest taking up a hobby. Make sure it's something that will inspire, fulfil and challenge you to step out of your comfort zone- you might even discover your true calling in life.

And hey if that doesn’t work out, you can always fill the rut with angry cross stitch instead…


No comments:

Post a Comment