Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's official

I'm now of age. Well, not really...I mean it's just a number right? Wrong. I've blogged about this before from a naive twenty four year old perspective but now I'm here. The Mid Twenties zone- twenty five years old.

I've mentioned before that twenty fifth parties are sort of becoming the new twenty firsts (minus the presence of grandparents and Jim from next door who knew you when you were just a wee dot). However, I organised nothing of the sort. In fact my choice of birthday celebration couldn't have made me feel more my age. I went on a mini break.

Before you judge, I just have to say that mini breaks rule. They're also a lot less stressful than a party. There's no pressure for numbers because I only invited Tom (could've got weird otherwise). There's also no mess to clean up. We stayed in a hotel where they do everything but wipe your bum for you- it was fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I still love a good knees up (quite a dirty expression really) but I didn't feel comfortable celebrating publicly this year. Maybe it's because ever since I was little, that number has stuck in my head as the age when I would be a grown up and the prospect of that title scares me even more than 'mid twenties'.

I do have to confess though that I am starting to experience some symptoms of adulthood. For one thing, I seem to be a lot more aware of the consequences of my actions. I actually find myself thinking before I opt in for the round of shots, what I need to achieve the next day. This 'thinking before acting' business could very well be the reason why I haven't had a Double Down yet...a travesty in itself really.

More evidence, on Friday night Tom and I went to see Steve O (from Jackass) live. It seemed like I was the only one in the whole venue not laughing at his hundredth fart joke. Since when are farts not funny? I've changed.

At work I've managed to shrug off the title of 'coordinator' which is a bit exciting and also a bit grown up too. My new job title of Branded Content Manager at least makes me sound mature. No one needs to know it's just a fancy way of saying I spend my days coming up with new ways to give away free stuff on the radio.

Even my parents know it's time to move on from my childhood. My old room back home is officially getting the overhaul. Gone are the curtains with moons on them that I picked as a little girl, gone also is the shrine of junk which I've accumulated over the years and left at home in between flats. I got a call from Dad a couple weekends ago, not to have a nice chat with his only daughter but to ask what I wanted them to keep because the rest was going to the dump! I did better than my little brother though whose room was converted into a gym before he'd even hit his twenties #Imthefavourite.

I guess if you wanted an idea of how grown up I really am you could judge me by my birthday presents. My haul included an angry bird soft toy, teddy bear pendant, GHD, a jet plane necklace.....and a comfy robe. Basically a hint of adulthood mixed in with a whole lot of frivolent immaturity. That's how I'd like to keep it for now too.

It might pay to stick around and see whether I find myself in a quarter life crisis. Maybe you've experienced one yourself? Just yesterday I impulsively cut my hair into a pixie style shorter than my boyfriend's. Take that common sense! What's next I wonder? Time...or age will tell.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment