Friday, May 20, 2011

Dun dun de dun

I just noticed how in writing, the wedding march kind of sounds like that ominous music in a movie where you know something bad is going to happen. Funny.

Marriage is a topic that's pretty much unavoidable when discussing the perils of a twenty something existence. It had to pop up in the blog sooner or later. I'm sure Tom is reading this and clutching at his chest wondering what those strange pains running down his left arm are but he needn't worry. This is purely a discussion. Blame the royal wedding for bringing it up...seriously, I watched it twice. You can blame that on the kiss taking so damn long that I fell asleep the first time round.

I didn't mention last week when I was blogging about what it means to turn twenty five, that being married was also an expectation of mine as a youngster. Twenty five seemed like a good age where I'd still look alright in a dress and have a few years ahead of me as a newlywed before the biological clock started to tick too loudly.

Man, I really should have been milking all the time I had for making huts in the lounge and indulging in guilt free sugar binges rather than thinking about where I'd be in years to come. I guess it's just who I am though. As much as I love spontaneity, I also love to make plans. Even if they don't happen it doesn't matter to me- I thrive in the planning. This makes me think that when I do decide to say 'I do' that there will be many a list, site map, MC script and schedule in tow. Whether any of it actually goes to plan is the real question.

When I think about it, my life plans don't usually come to fruition. I was supposed to have gone on my OE by now. I was also supposed to be carving out a career in news journalism as opposed to messing around in commercial radio. I may also have skipped out on the gym class I planned to attend earlier today. Oops.

I actually sabotaged one of my wedding related plans just last Saturday. Even if you're not a planner, if you're a female chances are you'll have pictured what you'll look like on your wedding day. For some reason I always imagined I'd have long hair. Alas, if I want that to become a reality I'm going to be a middle aged bride as my hair is now shorter than Justin Bieber’s.

I guess what I'm getting at is that as much as you think about it you just never know what your wedding will be like or whether you'll even get married for that matter. I'm sure Tom's sister didn't imagine that she would be getting married in a borrowed dress in her Dad's back yard just days after an Earthquake devastated her home town. In saying that though, it was just as beautiful as any of us had imagined, proving that as much as I love them, plans aren't everything.

Twitter is also to blame for getting me thinking about marriage. Spookily, the social networking tool seems to know me better than I know myself. Just days after turning twenty five, I was followed by a wedding planner company. Just days after that I discovered they had unfollowed me. Perhaps they sensed I would be one of those anal people that would never delegate responsibility to a company like them. Or maybe they could tell that I wouldn't follow through with their plans anyway...

Either way it stirred up those thoughts that I'm sure are sitting at the back of most twenty something's minds (or at least us girls). It reminds me of the song made famous by Doris Day- “Que Sera Sera”. You know the one- she asks her mother when she was young what she will be...“will I be pretty, will I be rich?” (the important questions) and her mother's answer? “Que sera sera, whatever will be will be.”

I like that. It applies itself nicely to marriage and whatever else the future has in store really. New life philosophy me thinks...although you'll have to prise my beloved To Do Lists from my cold dead hands before I give those up. A little forward thinking never hurt anyone.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment