Monday, January 3, 2011

The C word

A while back I wrote a blog about how I've become more health conscious as a twenty something. There was also talk of a half marathon that I was training for. This entry was followed by some serious blog neglect. I should probably fess up now and admit that the half marathon never eventuated. Well that's not entirely true, the half marathon happened- I just wasn't in it. Oops.

It was a busy month okay. The pressure of the approaching silly season got to me. I wasn't feeling very well. My dog ate my....shoes? No excuse really makes up for it. It was really just a motivation fail on my behalf. So on that note, I thought it would be timely to confess my sin when the subject of New Years resolutions is on everyone's lips.

Personally I'm not a huge believer in making major commitments whilst under the influence. Sure I've done it but I don't fool myself into thinking that I'll actually stay true to my word. Often I'll make plans with people for Sunday on Saturday night and not keep them. Even simple brunch dates have been bailed on. How then am I supposed to make a potentially life changing decision on the one day of the year where it's ok to drink like a fish and ignore all responsibility?!

Hopefully I'm not the only one out there who struggles with the concept of New Years resolutions. I guess you could argue it's the right of a twenty something. Commitment of any kind is a struggle but that's the beauty of the age right? The mere fact that we don't absolutely have to commit ourselves to anything is pretty choice.

Funny really that I'm so pessimistic about resolutions when I have managed to successfully keep one made last New Year. Although to be fair the resolution was actually made for me by someone else. Up until the first of January 2010 I used to occasionally indulge in the odd ciggy. This was only ever under the influence of a few wines but that is probably the lamest reason there is to excuse it.

Luckily for me Tom- the boyfriend- a) finds smoking repulsive and b) knows how I tick. From what I remember the whole resolution came about as kind of a dare. Tom reckoned I couldn't do it so naturally I had to prove him wrong. Which so far I have. Yay for me I suppose but Tom really deserves the credit. I've never actually come up with my own resolution and stuck to it.

This could be the year. The year that I make a resolution for myself and keep it... although I still haven't decided on it yet. I don't really want to set myself up for disappointment (the half marathon fail stung enough) but really, what are we without goals? Oh that's right, procrastinators. Which as we all know is a major symptom of twenty something syndrome.

So I guess the question is, are you going to break the mould and decide to do something good for yourself or deny yourself something bad this year? Let's face it, under the influence of certain substances you probably have already said you will but the real question is, will you embrace the c word (commitment) and stick with it longterm?

Hmm. Maybe I'll commit to more Sunday brunch dates.

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment